AIM: To teach powerboating up to the standard required to complete a short coastal passage by day.
ASSUMED KNOWLEDGE: Students should be competent to the standard of powerboat level 2.
It is recommended that they hold a first aid certificate and a VHF radio certificate.
THEORY: (Planning a day cruise)
- True and magnetic bearings
- Chart symbols
- Tidal diamonds and tidal streams
- Use of pilot books
- Plotting instruments
- Lateral and cardinal buoyage
- GPS, waypoint navigation,xte,sog,cog,btw,dtw.
- Use of laminated charts afloat PRACTICAL
Aim: To put into practice the theory detailed above and to complete a passage, which shall include:
- Boat preparation
- Boat handling
- Passage making
- Man overboard
Holders of the intermediate certificate will be capable of planning and carrying out a short coastal cruise in daylight.